Maldives is easily
accessible through air.
There are two
types of airports, one international airport and few domestic Airports. People
who live abroad have to reach Maldives by its International airport. Once you are
in Maldives, then you can take a local plane to travel to other islands which have a domestic
airports (which will be costly).
Airport (MLE) now known as Velana International Airport is
the main international airport in the Maldives. It is located on Hulhule
Island, which is very close to the capital city of Male.
Late visitors to the island need not worry, as Maldives airport offers travelers facilities for storing their bags, and there is a hotel right on the island.
Velana International Airport
There is only one
runway, which is 3,200-meter long.
FACILITIES AVAILABLE AT THE AIRPORT
- There is a restaurant within the premises of Maldives airport. It serves a variety of meals along with general snacks and refreshments.
- For the tourists and business travelers, money changing services are provided at the airport.
- A 24-hour ferry service operates to and from the airport island.
- There is an option for travelers to store their bags at the airport if they are traveling late.
- There are a number of duty free shops here which offer a wide variety of goods.
- Airline Counters (open during flight times) answer your queries and offer help if needed.
- The various departure formalities are quite relaxed, and the visitors face no undue hassles.
Effective from Jan
1, 2017, the Maldives airport’s name will be called Velana
airports or domestic airports of Maldives are Hanimadhoo Domestic airport, Gan
Domestic Airport, Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport and Kaadedhdhoo Domestic Airport.
- Hanimadhoo Domestic Airport - The length of the runaway of this airport is 4000 feet and
the width is 100 feet. It can accommodate planes having maximum of 60
- Gan Domestic Airport - It was constructed by Royal Air Force of Great Britain. The
runaway of this airport is about 8700 feet.
- Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport - The length of the runaway is 762m and width is 30m. It can
accommodate short take-off and landing aircrafts.
- Kaadedhdhoo Domestic Airport - This airport is a great relief for the people living in
Huvadhoo Atoll. The difficulties experienced by Atoll during bad weather
are beyond imagination. This airport receives emergency planes, which have
brought comfort to lots of people on this island.